Thursday, January 17, 2013

Day 17 - The Dictionary Debate


When my children don't know the meaning of a word I tell them to do what every adult does: Google it. (e.g. define _______). 

We own multiple dictionaries but all they do is collect dust on the shelf. I've actually received criticism for not teaching my children to use a "real" (whatever that means) dictionary because, as the critics argue, "technology may not always be around, and then what will they do?"


Seriously?! 

Well, first of all, if technology is no longer around then some major apocalyptic event has occurred, and second of all, if that's the case and for some odd reason my kids desperately need to know the definition of a word, I'm confident they can teach themselves how to use a dictionary in that moment.

(I am also not big on teaching spelling for this same reason. In this post alone, I had five words with the red squiggly lines underneath that are now corrected -- and in a matter of seconds! I <3 you, technology! ) 


2 comments:

  1. Technology has indeed changed many of the ways we learn. I encourage our kids to look up words, they prefer the electronic way, I prefer a real dictionary. But then, I was the nerdy child who would sit and READ the dictionary!
    The emphasis should be on LEARNING not on doing a task the way someone else prefers to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say, work smarter, not harder! It's so much easier on Google! :-)

    ReplyDelete