Friday, January 18, 2013

Interview with a US NAVY SEAL SNIPER!


Sharpshooters's current obsession is snipers! He spends all day reading, watching,  listening to or making anything he can that's sniper-related. This has been a great unschooling topic because it has led him to learn history, physics, math, and interviewing skills. As his learning facilitator, I thought it would be cool to set up some interviews for him with some real snipers! So, I started searching for snipers who would allow my nine-year-old son to interview them, and not only did I find several willing snipers, but I found some of the best in the world!


When Brandon Webb, former Navy SEAL, sniper, and author of New York Times Bestseller, The Red Circle, agreed to let Sharpshooter interview him, my son was soooo excited!! Sharpshooter immediately started writing down his questions (see photo), typed them up, and emailed them to Brandon. 

Brandon wrote back within 24 hours and you would have thought it was Christmas morning when Sharpshooter received his answers! 
Thank you so much, Brandon Webb, for not only allowing my son to interview you, but for your brave service to our country! 


The Interview
Sharpshooter: What did it take to become a sniper?
Brandon: It takes a lot of patience. Most importantly you have to be good at math and shooting!
S: What was your main weapon?
Brandon: We have many weapons as a SEAL sniper. My favorite was the .300win mag bolt action rifle. Today I really like the HK 417.
S: What's your favorite sniper movie, favorite weapon, and favorite video game?
Brandon: Sniper movie is Act of Valor (sniper scene). Video game is Call of Duty and Hitman (tell your mom I'm sorry I told you that!..lol) Gun, I answered above already.
S: Do you know a good YouTube video on snipers I could watch?
Brandon: There's not much on YouTube buddy. Most the guys stay off of it.
S: What could I do at 9 to prepare to become a sniper?
Brandon: Study hard, develop a habit of setting
achieving goals in your life. "Excellence is a habit" 
S: What was your favorite part of being a sniper?
Brandon: Being part of a special team.
S: What was the hardest part of your training?
Brandon:  Hardest part of SEAL training is being mentally challenged by being extremely cold for 6 months. Sniper-having to wait hours for one chance to make a graded shot!
Keep up the good work and listen to your mom, she knows best!
Your friend,
Brandon




No comments:

Post a Comment