Thursday, January 3, 2013

Day Two - The Panic

“School presents daily exercises in dis-association. It forces unwelcome associations on most of its prisoners. It sets petty, meaningless competitions in motion on a daily basis, pitting potential associates against one another in contests for praise and other worthless prizes.” ~ John Taylor Gatto

Sharpshooter, my nine-year-old son, was at his papaw’s most of the day today so all we had time for was his gymnastics class and about thirty minutes of family time before bed. After I sent the kids to bed I went through my step-children’s backpacks to check and see if they needed lunch money. As I was going through their backpacks the panic hit. There were at least fifty worksheets in Katniss’ folder! There were math work sheets with times at the top showing how fast they had been completed, there were grammar worksheets, and reading comprehension worksheets and on and on. Am I depriving my child by not giving him such a “rigorous” education? I know my son couldn’t complete twenty multiplication problems in 1.56 minutes and I know he doesn’t know what a preposition is. Feeling a little sick to my stomach I put their folders back in their back packs, pray, and read a few of my favorite unschooling blogs for encouragement. I’m quickly reminded of my priorities and of the times I tried these same types of worksheets with my son and how little he enjoyed them, how frustrated they made him, and the tears he cried over them. Learning should be fun, I remind myself, and worksheets are NOT fun!  

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and will be following your journey! What are some of your favorite unschooling blogs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the follow. I will update my "Blog Roll" today, which is located on the right side of this blog, with some of my favorite unschooling blogs! :-)

    ReplyDelete