Friday, January 25, 2013

Day 25 - The Gun Control Debate

Last night I over heard Genesis (11) and Sharpshooter (9) having a gun-control debate. For his upcoming birthday, Sharpshooter received his first real rifle and Genesis was having some issues with it. Sharpshooter was taking his rifle out of the box, and thus began the debate:

Genesis: I thought those guns were illegal now.


Genesis (11) on left, Sharpshooter (9) on right.
Sharpshooter: No, the president is only wanting to ban assault rifles and magazines that hold more than ten bullets, this is a .22 rifle and it only holds ten bullets at a time. But, Gun World [where we bought the rifle] does still sell assault rifles.  

Genesis: It's ridiculous that a place like Gun World would sell assault rifles.  Who needs a weapon that fires that fast!?

Sharpshooter: Why is it so ridiculous? 

Genesis: Didn't you see what happened in Sandy Hook? That guy used an assault rifle to kill all those kids! 

Sharpshooter: Yeah, I know, but that guy was crazy, that's why he killed those kids, it had nothing to do with assault rifles! Besides, where that shooting happened already has really strict gun laws and it didn't stop him. So does Washington, DC and they have the highest crime rates in the nation! [Patting myself on back for this comment, Momma taught him well.]

Genesis: I still don't see why someone needs a gun that big. A hand gun should be enough protection for a person. 

Sharpshooter: [Frustrated] You just don't get it! [Shakes his head and walks out]

Of course, I couldn't prevent myself from stepping in. I explained to Genesis that I understand his concern over assault rifles but the reality is that even if they are banned, the bad guys will still have them. I proceeded to act out an skit in which a "bad guy" walks into a building with an assault rifle and all the law abiding citizens are unprotected; and then compared that with a scene in which a "bad guy" walks in with an assault rifle and all the "good guys" also have an assault rifles. Let's just say, the second scene was a lot less messy. 

Genesis still wasn't buying it and stood his ground. I respect that. 

I love watching Sharpshooter and Genesis debate. You should have heard them this last election, Genesis supported Obama, and Sharpshooter supported Mitt Romney. I imagine they will debate politics for the rest of their lives. I have flash forwards to fierce debates at Thanksgiving dinners and other family gatherings -- and I can't wait. I welcome civil debate and the free exchange of ideas into the house among my children. In fact, I love it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment